It is widely believed that Ho Chi Minh City, one of the most popular destinations in Vietnam, is an ideal place to visit all year-round due to the wonderful climate there. Weather in Ho Chi Minh City is typified by weather in the Southeast Vietnam, meaning there are high year-round temperatures with two seasons: dry season and rainy season.
If travelling this city in dry season, from December to April, you will have a pleasant journey with warm sunshine, partly cloudy and less rain. When travelling here in rainy season, from May to November, you still find this place so alluring, especially for those who are passionate about pouring rains.
Dry Season (December to April)
Many people claim that the best time to explore Saigon is dry season due to its best climate: low humidity, pleasant morning and windy night. This period of the year is considered to be the hottest time of the weather in Ho Chi Minh City. The temperatures are clement at first, but can heat up to 40°C around noon time at the end of April. Hence, if travelling during this dry season, foreign travelers may escape the swelter by visiting Saigon in December, which is known as the coolest month with average temperature of 22°C.
Events to check out:
- Celebrate Christmas and New Year with local Vietnamese: enjoy sparkle streets/buildings with colorful decorations and lights, window-shop all kinds of stores.
- Lunar New Year (around late-January and mid-February): enjoy Vietnamese “Tet” Festival by visiting big markets/flower streets and doing shopping. Keep in mind that, during Lunar New Year holidays, most of restaurants, shopping malls and stores in Saigon will close down. But you can still visit tourist places such as Independence Palace, some museums, and more.
Rainy Season (May to November)
Although dry season of Saigon is inclined to be the well-liked choice, rainy season still has its own interest. Of course, carrying an umbrella during this wet season is highly recommended.
From May to the early of November, the humidity gets higher and showers start happening regularly. Weather in Ho Chi Minh, will still even hot, with many rains during June, July and August.
The rains are quite heavy, but of short period (around 20 minutes), as quick as they come. Visiting this city during this time, you will understand why Saigonese usually compare Saigon weather with “a teenager with mood swings” by means of how unforeseeable it is.
Events to check out (you will also see an “exodus” of this city during these days):
- Vietnam Reunification Day (on April 30th)
- International Labor Day
- Vietnam National Day (on September 2nd)
- The Mid-Autumn Festival (15th day of the eighth lunar month)
In a word, if you the hot weather in Ho Chi Minh City is not your problem, visiting the city during the dry season must be the best choice. But if you love rainy day (with flooded streets!) and want to hunt impressive moments for your Instagram, then go for the rain season.